Monday, December 15, 2008

My Quest for Glossiness AND Volume! Part 1- The Styling Products


I have longish (below my shoulders), wavy/curly, 'normal' (if that exists, but normal in that it is not particularly dry or oily or damaged, etc) hair. A few years back I cut my very long hair to chin length. I liked it for about, oh, a day. Then I regretted it and have been growing it back since then. I'm on a quest for the Holy Grail of shampoo, conditioner, and styling products that will leave my hair shiny and glossy without weighing it down. I want Texas hair- but with movement and modernness. Too much to ask for?


I have two HG styling products. One styling cream and one hairspray.


The first is L'Oreal Studio Line Hot Straight cream. I thought it had been discontinued and I was frantic, but they only re-designed the line and I was able to locate it on Drugstore.com and quickly snatched up two bottles that will last me for years (you need so very little of it and I don't use it daily). Hot Straight de-frizzes my hair whether I'm wearing it wavy or straight. It smells good, it's cheap ($4.99 for 5 oz!), and it works. Perfection.


I've recently been adding two other styling creams into the mix. I think the results are similar enough to the Hot Straight that I may just stick to the tried and true and use the extra $20+ towards a mani or brow wax! I received a sample of Phyto 7 "Or" daily botanical cream for dry hair. I loved it and swiftly headed back to Sephora to procure the full size (2 oz for about $26! steep!). You only need a tiny bit, though, so this tube should last a while. I have been a fan of Phyto for years, I like their packaging and their plant-y-ness. But, the effect of the Phyto 7 creme is so similar to the Hot Straight that the extra price seems almost obscene.

The second new styling cream I'm liking is Fekkai Glossing Cream. Smells good, works well, you only need a dab, hmmm sounds familiar? I have the travel size tube and it will probably last for the next decade (1.7 oz for $9). I literally use about the size of a 1 karat diamond solitaire on the length of my hair. It is less pricey than the Phyto as the 7 oz Fekkai is $27.

Clearly the L'Oreal Hot Straight is the beauty bargain, but I'm a sucker for packaging and the aura of luxury.... so I will continue to mix 'em up.

No matter which one of these products I use- or a combo of all three- I end of with smooth, frizz-less hair, that smells good!


The second HG is the ultimate classic bombshell product, Aquanet Extra Super Hold, unscented. It comes in a can that is covered in fishnet stockings! ;) And it's pink and silver- oh yeah- and it works! It holds your hair, it's not too sticky or stiff, it is good stuff, and a giant can is only $3.99.

Sometimes the drugstore products just can't be beat!

No comments: